She throws a handful of glitter on her wet floor. Three days later? This is magnificent.
Kathy Cano-Murillo is an enthusiastic hobbyist from Phoenix, Arizona, who loves to do DIY projects. She even has her own craft room where she works on all of her projects. But the floor of her "studio" has seen better days. It's time for a makeover! Kathy wants to add a nice clean coat of paint to her floor and spruce it up with some glitter. Here's what she does.
You'll need the following:
- Garage floor coating kit
- 2 paint rollers and 2 paint trays
- 6 to 8 containers of glitter, depending on what color you want to use and the size of the room you are working in
- 1 brush for the borders
- Varnish for the floor
1. First, you have to make sure the floor is very clean. If you have a concrete floor, it's a good idea to clean any holes or cracks before you begin. Once the holes are cleaned, let it all dry well.
2. Then the garage floor has to be primed. This is especially important if it has a very absorbent subsurface. The two-component primer has to be carefully mixed and applied - ideally with a paint roller. The individual rows of primer should not overlap and should be applied quickly. Details on how to do this can be found in the instructions for the primer.
3. Next the garage floor has to be properly coated with paint. Here you also have to mix together 2-component paint before applying. It is wise to choose a paint that matches the color of the glitter.
Tip: A more detailed guide to sealing the floor can be found here.
4. Now sprinkle some glitter on the paint. Here you should be generous so that the floor glitters nicely and evenly. Now you have to allow your project 24 hours to dry before the last step — sealing.
5. Here you can use either resin, floor varnish or another sealing product. Of course it has to be transparent so that you can still see the glitter on the floor. Once you have applied it, it has to solidify well and the space has to be well ventilated. And you're done!
The result can take on many different forms:
Here is a video guide:
Now you have a fantastic-looking floor that doesn't get scratched so easily. You can use any kind of glitter to add your very own unique flair. This way you can transform a boring basement floor into a one-of-a-kind decorative statement.