Make Your Own Wonderfully Festive Advent Calendar — In Book Form!
The days are getting shorter and our thick winter jackets have long since migrated to the front of our wardrobes. Supermarkets are now stocking up on turkey, gingerbread, and eggnog, while commercials and posters are starting to feature a cheery rotund gentleman dressed in red. Yep, that's right — the Countdown to Christmas has well and truly begun!
Though many stores have been selling Christmas goods from the beginning of October, the good ol' advent calendar's sacred 24-door format remains unchanged. Check out the video above to see how you can transform a run-of-the-mill advent calendar into a wonderfully festive book that's full of surprises...
- construction paper in both red and green
- decorative glue
- 24 little cardboard boxes
- lobster clasp
1. Create the book cover by cutting the red construction paper to the following dimensions: 10" x 18".
2. Next, cut out three rectangles from the cardboard using the dimensions below.
3. As shown in the picture below, glue the pieces of cardboard onto the red construction paper, leaving a little distance to the edge.
4. Cut the corners of the red construction paper, fold the edges inwards, and glue them to the cardboard.
5. Cut the green construction paper to the dimensions shown below and glue it to the cardboard.
6. Make folds into the book cover. Use a ruler or similar object to do so.
7. Decorate the book cover as you wish.
8. Glue the little boxes onto the the inside on the book: 12 on one side, 12 on the other. Number the boxes randomly from 1 to 24.
9. Attach a lobster clasp with chain on the left and right of the book cover so that you can lock the book into place.
10. Last but not least, fill the boxes with candy or any other little surprises. You're now good to go for December 1!
You don't have to be a bookworm to enjoy this "reading material." Yet, it's probably fair to say those of you with a sweet tooth won't be disappointed! You can find another marvelous calendar idea here!