Countdown To Christmas With This Adorable DIY Jenga Advent Calendar
Every year in the weeks leading up to Christmas, the same question comes up: Do we need an advent calendar? Our answer? YES, absolutely we do! DIY advent calendars are a dime a dozen at this point, and you won't have to search hard to find hundreds of creative ideas all over the internet to surprise your friends and family with. But advent calendars don't have to come with candy in order to be fun. If you want to countdown to Christmas in style, but don't want to get any sugary sweetness involved, we've got the perfect DIY project for you – an adorable homemade advent calendar using everyone's favorite game, Jenga!
- Jenga Classic
- red, black, white & orange paint
- wine crate
- hot glue gun
- foam rubber
- several small wooden strips
1. Paint 24 of the Jenga blocks red before numbering them consecutively from 1 through 24.
2. Saw through the wine crate lengthwise down the middle and then use a jigsaw to cut 12 rectangular holes on both the right and left side of the rear part of the crate – the one with the back wall – exactly large enough for a Jenga block.
3. Remove the "lid" at the top.
4. Paint the back part of the wine box with red, black, and orange paint so that it looks like a brick wall – this part will be the fireplace.
5. Paint 2 wooden strips black before gluing them to the lower part of the crate (below the holes) that are as wide as the crate.
6. For the chimney, paint 4 small wooden strips white before gluing them together to make a square and gluing the square to the upper edge of the crate.
7. Push the numbered Jenga blocks through the holes on both sides – from 1 to 24, ascending from left to right and from top to bottom, making sure the number is always visible and outside the frame area.
8. Cut 2 Christmas stockings from foam rubber and glue them to the upper part of the 2 black wooden strips.
9. Draw and then cut a Santa out of a small piece of plywood.
10. Glue a Jenga block that hasn't been painted to Santa's back.
11. Place the box with the blocks on the ground. If you pull out a block in the correct order every day from December 1st onwards, Santa's going to keep moving down bit by bit until he comes down the chimney on December 24th. Pretty cute, right?
Get the instructions for the Christmas Advent Calendar Bottles, Christmas Gondola Advent Calendar, Christmas Book Advent Calendar, Christmas Wreath Advent Calendar, and the Christmas Tree Advent Calendar featured in the bonus video.