DIY Mobile Bench For When You're On The Go
If you're in the mood for a long walk to clear your head or you and your friends want to go check out nature, you're inevitably going to want to sit down somewhere and relax. Unfortunately, 9 out of 10 times you're not going to find a bench that's close by. Well, that's no good. To remedy this conundrum, we've essentially reinvented the wheel and come up with an ingenious mobile bench for when you're on the go. The bench sits atop a wheelbarrow, which means you can just wheel it around and then sit down whenever and wherever tickles your fancy. It's also the perfect way to transport things like backpacks, a picnic basket, and any other supplies you might need. You may have to put your shoulder to the wheel to make this wheelbarrow bench, but trust us, it will be worth it!
For the wheelbarrow:
- 2 wooden slats, each 19 inches long
- 1 wooden slat, 16 inches long
- 2 wooden slats, each 79 inches long
- 1 wheelbarrow tire
- 2 short round bars (ø 0.3 inch)
- 1 long round bar (ø 0.7 inch)
For the bench:
- 2 wooden slats, each 33.5 inches long
- 2 wooden slats, each 11 inches long
- 2 wooden slats, each 18 inches cm
- 5 wooden boards, each 39.5 inches long
- waterproof wood glue
- wood varnish
- power screwdriver
- grounding block
- hot glue
1. First off, you need to build the frame for the wheelbarrow: on the two parallel 79-inch wooden slats, screw the two short, 19-inch slats at a 90° angle. Then screw the 40-inch wooden slat between the long wooden slats.
2. Drill two holes through the short ends of the two long wooden slats, then push the long round bar through one of the holes.
3. Push the wheelbarrow tire in the middle of the round bar and push it through the opposite hole.
4. Fix the long round bar to both sides by applying wood glue in the holes.
5. Drill two holes – left and right of the wheelbarrow wheel – in the long rod. Then push a short rod through each hole and fix it in place with wood glue. The small round bars ensure that the wheelbarrow wheel remains in a central position on the long round bar.
6. Now it's time to assemble the bench. First screw the two side parts together: for each side, screw the 11-inch wooden slat to the 33.5-inch wooden slat.
7. For each side of the bench, screw the 18-inch wooden slat to the 11-inch slat.
8. Now you're going to assemble the seat and backrest for the bench: screw three of the five 39.5-inch wooden boards on the bench for the seat. The other two 39.5-inch wooden boards are going to be the backrest.
9. Place the bench into the wheelbarrow frame.
10. Now lift the wheelbarrow frame and screw it to the two left legs of the bench and the two right legs of the bench.
11. Tie ropes around the handles and fix them in place with a hot glue gun so that the wheelbarrow is easier to handle when pushing it later.
12. Sand the wood if necessary and then use wood varnish to paint the entire wheelbarrow bench in the color of your choice.
13. Wait until the varnish has dried completely, and get wheelin'.
This mobile wheelbarrow bench is major, ya'll! With this in your arsenal, you'll never have to look for a bench again!
Get the instructions for the DIY 2-In-1 Coffee Table Bed featured in the bonus video.