DIY Rotating Spool Bookcase
Most of us probably don't come into contact with cable spools very often, but they actually look pretty rad! Their unique shape makes them super interesting to look at, and they're made to last. So we've come up with a great DIY project that turns a wooden cable spool into a neat coffee table bookcase on wheels. You won't find anything like this at IKEA!
- wooden cable spool
- 4 wooden dowel rods (length depends on the size of the cable reel)
- wood glue
- wood varnish
- round wooden plate
- 4 caster wheels
1. Saw the wooden dowel rods so that they fit exactly between the two wooden tops of the cable spool like slim columns. Then fix them to the cable spool with wood glue.
2. Sand the cable spool.
3. Use wood varnish to paint the spool in the color of your choice.
4. To make the cable spool look like an actual coffee table, place a round wooden plate on top of the cable spool. Sand the tabletop and then paint that as well.
5. Use wood glue to glue the tabletop to the cable spool.
6. Screw caster wheels to the bottom of the cable spool, add your favorite books, and just roll it into your favorite reading nook.
Finally, a stylish bookcase you can just slide from the couch to your favorite reading nook – book lovers everywhere will love this!
Get the instructions for the DIY Bathtub Tray featured in the bonus video.