Beastly Good & Healthy Too: Quick Dog Biscuits You Can Make At Home
One of the best parts of baking cookies is the pleasant anticipation. As a tantalizing aroma wafts from the oven, it's not only our mouths that start watering. You know your dog is dreaming about chocolate chips and peanut butter chunks and oatmeal-y raisins too.
But of course — sadly, cruelly, unfairly — our cookie ingredients are way off limits for canines. Chocolate, nuts, raisins, sugar, butter, you name it: God forbid your dog get ahold of any of them.
Now with this super simple recipe, though, you can surprise Rex with his very own cookies! And they're not just delicious for dogs, they're perfectly safe and healthy. Kids will love making these too.
You'll Need (for one sheet):
- 3 cups whole grain flour of your choice
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 carrots
- 2 bananas
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- cookie cutter (bone-shaped, for instance)
1. Mix together the flour of your choice with the cornmeal in a large bowl.
2. Next, peel the carrots or scrub them well, cutting off the ends, and chop them very fine. Then peel the banana and chop it into small pieces and add both to the flour mix.
3. Finally crack the egg into the bowl, and add the oil and water.
4. Using an electric hand mixer, blend all the ingredients well until you have a thick ball of dough.
5. Experienced bakers will know what to do next: sprinkle some flour over a clean surface and roll out the dough evenly with a rolling pin or press it out with your palms. Then with your cookie cutter, cut out as many biscuits as the dough will make and place them on a greased or parchment-covered pan.
6. Bake these simple treats for 35 minutes at 350°F.
And there you have it! But after taking them out of the oven, be sure not to leave the tray within reach of your four-legged pal because the treats need to cool off first. Plus, you probably don't want them to be scarfed down in the first one to three minutes.
Watch the video to see the whole process — plus some dog biscuit recipe feedback from resident canines, dachshund Rosie and golden retriever Bella:
As soon as you get a whiff of these baking in the oven, you'll know that these healthy treats render all store-bought goodies unnecessary. All that's left is to resist eating them up yourself!