Haunted Witch's Cottage Carved Out Of A Pumpkin
Halloween in just around the corner, so that means it's time to start carving pumpkins and making your house as close to haunted as you can get it! Fake spider webs and traditional jack-o'-lanterns are great, but Halloween is also the perfect time to get a little bit creative. This year, try transforming your pumpkin into a haunted witch's cottage, complete with a rickety wooden bridge, creaky old door, mossy yard, and eerie lighting. It's a fun DIY decoration to make, plus it will transform your home into the most festive, spooky trick-or-treating spot on the block. Now you just need a black cat and a broomstick, and you'll be ready to cast some enchanting Halloween spells!
- 1 pumpkin
- 1 large knife
- pumpkin carving tools
- hot glue gun
- 4 pieces of fabric for the curtains
- 4 wooden skewers
- modeling clay
- acrylic paint
- 1 large wooden board
- gravel or small pebbles
- decorations (e.g. mushrooms, pine cones, leaves)
- cardboard for the witch's silhouette
- tea light
1. Use a large knife to cut the top off of the pumpkin, making a jagged cut so that the top has pointed edges. Use a spoon to scoop out and remove all of the pumpkin seeds and pulp from inside the pumpkin.
2. Use a pumpkin carving tool to cut 2 equally sized squares out of the pumpkin for the windows, making sure to leave enough room between them for a door.
3. Use a hot glue gun to glue 2 pieces of fabric to each window for the curtains, then tie a small piece of twine around each curtain so that you can easily peek inside the windows.
4. Glue 4 twigs around the 2 windows to make the window frames.
5. Glue 3 twigs between the 2 windows to make the door frame.
6. Line up several equally sized twigs in a row and glue them to 2 wooden skewers to create a bridge.
7. Glue 2 small twigs to each end of the base of the bridge. Glue 2 large twigs parallel to the wooden skewers on top of the small twigs in order to complete the bridge. Push the wooden skewers supporting the bridge into the pumpkin just below the door frame.
8. Sculpt a door out of modeling clay directly on the pumpkin and use a wooden skewer to give it a textured, wooden look. Once the modeling clay has dried, paint the door a light brown color with acrylic paint.
9. Use modeling clay to create a chimney around the stem on the top of the pumpkin and use the same technique to decorate it.
10. Use a hot glue gun to glue the pumpkin house to a large wooden board. Glue some additional decorations onto the wooden board, like moss for the front yard, branches to make a fence, gravel and stones, decorative mushrooms, and pine cones.
11. Cut the silhouette of a witch out of cardboard or construction paper, glue it to a wooden skewer, and stick the skewer into the base of the pumpkin so that the witch is positioned in front of one of the windows. Light a tea light inside the pumpkin, put the top on, and your haunted witch's cottage is complete!
This festive Halloween decoration is fun to make and looks great once it's finished. Feel free to get creative and come up with even more ways to make this haunted witch's cottage even spookier!