Create More Kitchen Space With A Slide-Out Pantry
You know that awkward little corner in your kitchen that's usually between a cabinet and a wall? It's too tiny for a regular cupboard but JUST big enough to collect all kinds of dust and dirt. Even trash miraculously manages to make itself at home in there. Obviously, this will not do. Wasting potential storage space, especially in smaller kitchens, should not be a thing. So, if your kitchen happens to feature a small, awkward space that really isn't of any use to anyone, you should definitely give this DIY project a try! We'll show you how you can build your very own pantry cabinet for your kitchen. Did we mention that it's on wheels? Well, it is, which makes it even easier to use as the perfect storage space for all the essentials or even kitchen utensils. Turn your weird corner space into a functional cabinet with this easy DIY hack!
- 2 wooden boards (2 ft each)
- 2 wooden boards (4 ft each)
- 4 shelves (2 ft each)
- 1 narrow board (2 ft)
- pegboard (4 ft x 2 ft)
- 4 caster wheels
- 4 dowels (2 ft each)
- spray paint
- furniture handle
- wood glue
- spray paint
1. First measure out the corner where you want to put your slide-out pantry and screw the 4 wooden boards together to create the frame of the cabinet. Our example shows just one possible solution of many, so make sure you adjust your measurements to fit your own space.
2. Determine the gap between shelves and screw them tightly to the cabinet from the outside.
3. Screw the narrow board to the lower front. This will act as a guard to prevent things from falling out.
4. Fix the pegboard in place as a back panel with nails.
5. Screw 4 caster wheels to the bottom of the cabinet.
6. Glue the dowels above the shelves with wood glue, making sure to leave a gap. This will also keep things from falling out of the cabinet.
7. Sandpaper the wood.
8. Spray paint the slide-out pantry in the color of choice, but remember to use masking tape on the back panel so the paint doesn't penetrate it.
9. Attach a furniture handle to the upper half of the front.
10. Put your kitchen essentials in the slide-out pantry und slide it back into what used to be wasted storage space.
Ok, so the idea of building your own pantry, putting it on wheels, and sliding it into a corner of your kitchen that used to be unserviceable is ingenious, right?! And the best thing about it is that you can create the same cabinet for all kinds of different spaces, be it the basement, storeroom, or even the garage. With this DIY project, you can finally make the most of those awkward tiny spaces!
You can find the instructions for the DIY Secret Storage Table featured in the bonus video here.