Craft Your Own DIY Rug From Old Fleece Blankets
If you have some old, yet oh-so-soft, fleece blankets stuffed in the back of your closet and finally want to put them to good use, look no further than this tutorial! Even if you don't currently own any fleece blankets, you can easily pick them up quite cheaply at any local shop or thrift store. No matter where you get them from, you'll love the end result of this DIY project – just as much as you'll love the feel of a fluffy handcrafted rug under your feet!
- 6 fleece blankets (2 of each color)
- rubber bands
1. Cut the blankets in long, equally-sized strips.
2. Take 3 strips of the same color and tie them together on one end with a rubber band. Braid the strips and tie the end piece together with a rubber band. Repeat this with the other blanket strips until you have 6 braids of each color.
3. To connect the individual braids, you'll need more fabric strips, but this time a little narrower (there should be enough left over from the blankets).
4. Link the 3 braided strands of the same color with a narrow strip of fabric and secure the braided ends with rubber bands. reattach them to the other strips at the top and bottom with a rubber. Repeat with the other colors.
5. Connect all 3 colored braids together for a wonderfully soft fleece area rug!
It's really amazing what you can do with discarded things that are just lying around the house gathering dust. If you want to make use of your old blankets, it's time to get upcycling!
You can find the tutorial for the great DIY Towel Bath Mat featured in the bonus video here.